Valium, also known as the brand name Diazepam and is one of the popular benzodiazepines, is highly effective as a tranquilizing muscle-relaxant drug that is mostly used to treat anxiety disorders, muscles spasms, and withdrawal symptoms of alcohol. Despite its many benefits, this medication has its limitations. Read on to see if it is advisable or not take Valium while on antibiotics.
Though this drug is a very effective and useful drug there are conditions in which, Valium cannot be prescribed or taken. These are:
- If you are allergic to any of the drugs or medicines belonging to the same family as Valium or diazepam, such as Xanax, Ativan, Restoril or Klonopin; you should not take this drug.
- If you are pregnant, you should not start or stop taking Valium, without consulting with your doctor.
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma, severe liver disease, kidney problems or even asthma, tell your doctor about these.
- It is likely to grow addictive and hence, if you have a previous history of attention, you should tell that to your doctor.
- If you are addicted to alcohol, if you have depression or other mental illness, discuss them with your doctor, before taking Valium.
What happens if you take Valium and antibiotic drugs together?
The chemical compositions often interfere with that of the other drugs, especially with antibiotics. If you have been taking this medication and have to take antibiotics, discuss that with your doctor. This is because they both interfere with each other and may have bad side effects on the body. Antibiotics help in removing the Valium content from the bloodstream and thereby it reduces the effect of this drug. Hence patients who have been buying Valium and consuming it to treat their disorders will experience side effects and health troubles.
Usually, erythromycin, clarithromycin, and telithromycin or a few other antibiotics are the most common ones that have greater interference with this drug. Harmful drug interactions can occur when sleep medications like Valium and Ambien and taken together with amoxicillin. Hence, if you have to take these antibiotics, it is better that you wait, until your antibiotic course is complete before you resume taking this medication. But, do not stop taking them all of a sudden or deciding on the dosage on your own. Ask your doctor about that.
How to take antibiotics while taking Valium?
If you do not want to stop taking this drug while you are on your antibiotic course, it is better that you follow these useful tips.
- Maintain a gap of at least 4 hours between your Valium dose and antibiotic dose, so that either drug gets to be removed from the bloodstream. This way, they will not interfere with each other’s effectiveness.
- Always take antibiotics on a full stomach. This way, it will be less likely to impart side effects on the body, by reacting with it.
There are many people who have taken Valium and antibiotics together and haven’t felt any trouble. Still, it is important to avoid taking both together, as much as possible. Or at least, you must seek consultation with a doctor first. If any discomfort is felt, rush to a doctor or seek admission to a hospital at once before the condition is aggravated.